Sunday, April 15, 2007

Grindhouse a-go-go


Watched Grindhouse on Saturday afternoon with friend Dan, of d-r-m fame. Yowza!
Having endured many zombie/horror flicks in my lifetime- Grindhouse raises my tolerance bar for indeceny and gore. People explode like hot dogs in a microwave, get run over, and have rashes you'd have nightmares about. I'm sure the FACES OF DEATH series will seem tame after this. (There is absolutely no way I'd watch those. There's quite a difference between HOLLYWOOD death and ACTUAL death. Besides, it's just morbid.)

The movie is broken up into two films: Planet Terror and Death Proof. There's also delightful trailers in-between such as: Machete, Nazi Werewolfs of the SS, Don't!, and Thankgiving. Thanksgiving the most disturbing of the bunch- I....I can't even go into words how painful.

Planet Terror weaves the tale of a zombie plague attacking a town of various characters and features the absurb Cherry Darling (Rose McGowan) taking out the bad guys with her AK-47 leg.
Some great lines and zombies a-poppin'. Worth rewatching- except the groin infected scenes. YUCK.

Death Proof on the other hand- was a snooze-fest. Four girls gabbing on about boyfriends- then four more girls gabbing on about THEIR boyfriends. Oh, I forgot to mention, there's another small plot of Stunt Man Mike (Kurt Russel) killing people with his death proof car. Then the second group of girls get their revenge and beat the snot out of him- for trying to kill them. Okay.....
Not worth rewatching except the brief conversation between SMM and Rose McGowan's character in the bar. Rather funny, but overall, Eh.....

Now, don't get me wrong- I didn't despise this film in the least. Grossed out?... completely. Mortified? Yes. But it was for all the right reasons. Tarantino/Rodriguez nailed this 70's explotation/grindhouse genre. It is just a movie after all. It's okay to let yourself go once in a awhile. Just as long as you don't start running over people for kicks.

1 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger DRM said...

Oh Jeff....what is wrong with you? Everyone knows that the gun on the girl's leg is not an AK-47, but an M4, which is a version of the classic M16. Furthermore, it is equipped with an under-the-barrel 120mm launcher(I think). :)

Don't ask me how she shoots that thing. I have yet to figure that out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home