Sunday, May 06, 2007

He can be taught...

Getting in the creative mood after being on a computer all day at work is tough. Something or someone has to really knock some sense into my head to get the ball rolling or cause a spark. Awhile back I discovered two great websites, Melissa Clifton and Comic Art Community Clifton's site is great for photoshop tutorials in additon to some vector ones as well. She's amazing. Comic Art features hundreds of my favorite comic artists and then some. Combined together, these two sites make the perfect blend for a overworked/not-as-skilled as I should be in the design programs kind guy. Yes, I can draw- but at a level where I consider myself good?...No, not yet. Ditto for Photoshop/Illustrator. I have this weird love/hate relationship with Adobe. I love finding cool new things to do in the those programs, but hate working in them day after day at my regular job and coming home feeling exhausted and burned out from it. It soaks my creative juice dry like a sponge. I hate that...

Anyways, I look for an artist I like- print out their pencils, ink them, scan them back into the computer, and use the tutorials (as best I can) to make something that looks cool.

Here's Joe Mad's Scarlet Witch I did from a ways back along with a sketch from my friend Tesh of Wonder Girl, currently in the works. Enjoy...I'll keep cracking at it- as best I can. Maybe I'll even post one of my own drawings.






...and no, I'm not claiming these as my own artwork or trying to make a profit, it's just a learning exercise- so don't get your underpants in an uproar. Yeah, that's right, underpants.