Saturday, May 05, 2007

Spider-Man 3: The Wii game


Giving into more Spidey-hype and being an avid gamer, I bought Spider-man 3 for my Nintendo Wii. The game delivers a unique control scheme of web-slinging using both the wiimote and nunchuk as your right and left hands shooting off webs. Kinda cool when you think about it.

Execution of said set-up on the other hand, is unforgiving with a steep learning curve. I played for ten minutes on a lunch break and got easily frustrated. Playing it later in the day for a longer period of time- I slowly started to get the hang of things and then I would completely lose control of my rhythm. So I tried again, and again, and again- with the same results.

Fighting bad guys is a pain too. Utilizing the wiimote you swing it left and right to land a punch or kick. You can also use the 'a' button to punch too, but it get montonous. Guiding you along is the narrator, Bruce Campbell with his delightful commentary- except during the fight scenes when he's mocking you for doing the same moves over and over. Obviously, he didn't play the game.

Negativity aside, it is a good game- fun in concept and a huge city to explore while web-slinging. Upgrades a plenty, and a neat mini-game of ridding yourself of the alien black suit. (think any huge boss fight on Ultimate Alliance). It's just too bad it doesn't come together like it should. The frustration I'd get from fighting just one tough boss battle in any other video game, is the same experience I get simply trying to control Spidey's actions.

One day of ownership and I'm ready to trade this puppy in. Sorry Spidey.

So, out of the movie, the game, and the soundtrack. The soundtrack wins...uh, I guess. 8 out of 15 songs I like is a small victory. Man, what a let-down for Spidey fans. ):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home